How should navigation work in an MSI provider?

Topics: RFC
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2009 at 5:33 AM
How should navigation work in a provider when mounting MSIs? The main conflict is when different components install the same file name to the same target directory. This is allowed when the components' conditions are mutually exclusive, but the idea of the provider is to browse the MSI regardless of conditions. It would be nearly impossible to evaluate these conditions without running a portion of installation up to and including CostFinalize anyway (maybe I should, at least for all known standard and custom action type 51 and 35 CAs). So what I could do is when a name is specified actually output all file objects that match that name. Part of the key would actually be the component ID or GUID. If a user wanted a single one, a provider-specific parameter to match the ID or GUID would be required. Any comments on that approach?
Jul 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Heath,

Backup a second. Are you suggesting a PSDrive prrovider for MSIs. Does this exist in any form? If I'm completely off base can you please clarify? Being you can't event specify a MSI path for the cmdlets, I think thats a first step (and I cam to this site to make that feature request).

Justin

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Ignore the above I just voted for the feature that inspired it.